1.11.2016

Bending so I don't Break

I'm gonna be honest here and tell you that my wellness journey is an uphill battle most days.  I'm generally healthy but I LOVE to eat.  And most of what I love definitely does NOT fall into the category of "healthy".  Greasy burgers, Tex-Mex, bar-b-que, pizza and wine are all tops on my favorite foods list.  As I type this,  I'm having lunch prepared for me by my husband.  It's leftovers from two different dinners this week.  A salad with baked chicken and a bowl up green chile tortilla soup are generally healthy options, but my husband knows me well.  He added a healthy pile of cheese to both of them by default.  He assumed I would want cheese (and he's right, although I probably would have skipped it because I'm trying).
Exercise is another area I struggle with.  Let's face it.  I'm lazy.  I spend most of my day in front of a computer or working in my kitchen.  Feeding 6 people will do that for you. I'm just not motivated to get out and get all sweaty and tired.  In all honesty, I do always feel good afterwards and I'm always glad I did it, it's the starting that is hard.  I have found something that I love to do though, and it's good for my body.


Yoga.  Yup, I love doing yoga.  Some day I'll start going to a class, but for now, I do it at home.  The great thing about Yoga is that it's good for people of all ages and abilities.  It's also easy to modify, so even my mom who had a stroke recently can do some poses from a seated position in a chair and receive some of the benfits.




I personally have found an app for my cell phone and iPad that I use.  It has a variety of workouts so you don't get bored and is perfect for beginners and experienced yogis alike.  Check out Daily Yoga and see if you might like it, too.  The fantastic thing is that it is free.  And there are plenty of free workouts to choose from so there's no cost commitment.  If you decide you like it you can pay for upgraded features and unlock even more workouts.  


You may think you're not flexible enough for yoga, but trust me, you are.  The great thing about yoga is that you start where you are and if you keep doing it, eventually you'll be able to do all the poses.  I can do poses now that I couldn't even attempt when I started.  (Look up half boat pose, for example)  

If you're looking for exercise that isn't difficult or taxing on your body, try some yoga.  You start where you are and after only a couple of weeks you'll notice you're stronger and more flexible than when you started.  Just don't be mad if you become addicted to it like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10